Monday, March 28, 2011

Yesterday's Decorum

Only a few decades ago, people were friendly to each other. Yes, they may have whispered about each other and made their judgments from a distances, but they held their tongue and rarely questioned the integrity of their fellow citizens. Before women were independent  people had only enough to get by with the help of their neighbor. People needed each other and they acted like it.

The new pace determined by our technology has created a rare void in society. Isolationism has replaced what was once independence. Disregard for the reputations of others has become the norm. The shock value of murder and robbery is now as simple as an exercise in a video game. Why do I bring all of this up? Because I want to know why being a sincere, friendly, mild-mannered human being doesn't work any more. I want to know why each one of us has to push our way to the top to the dismay of others. Why is it that the masterful manipulators and the thieves are honored so heavily in today's society? I have a certain respect for the ability of people to dominate a situation, I just don't respect that they use their skills in such a negative way. I don't want to take pride in such hateful practice and I don't want to raise my children in such a world.

I thought that advances in society meant advances in our EQ and our approaches towards one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment