Saturday, March 26, 2011

First Impressions

People tend to let one impression of a person stick in their head. They meet someone, form an opinion which is usually based on some of their own biases, and then that person is tagged as "this" kind of person. I am a proponent of change. I believe that even though some fundamental characteristics of people stay the same, everybody changes on a daily basis. How can people judge me, for instance, based on a "presence" that I have? Sure, it is impressive when you meet someone and they have a powerful presence. In my experience, people with presence tend to feel that they don't have to prove themselves to their friends, their coworkers, etc. In the workforce, it seems that these are the people that are given the positive feedback and the perks. Can a geek not feel like a champion? Can a muscle-bound gorilla not feel like an intelligent asset to the group? Does a woman HAVE to manipulate to impress? These are questions that I struggle with every day.

If I were to accept that the impression that I give people determined where I stood in the group then I would have had to quit a long time ago. When people first meet me, they may see me as a sensitive looking guy. The people who decide to lay into me and check my buttons are able to quickly see that I am affected.This is something that I cannot change. It is simply a part of my emotional anatomy. Do I receive any kind of protection from these thugs that mess with me and often destroy my inner peace of mind? No, it is looked over and I am considered weak. The world considered Einstein retarded. Society tends to overlook the people that serve as its most precious assets. Bill Gates for example.People deserve respect. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment